WONDER #655: Can You Really Hear the Ocean in a Shell?
Question 1 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- People have given many explanations for the sounds inside a shell over the years, but scientists today believe the sound is caused by ambient noise.
- Sound travels in waves, much like water in the ocean.
- A great way to bring the ocean home with you from vacation is to find a shell as a souvenir—that way, you can hear the sounds of the sea at home.
- When tested in a soundproof room, shells don’t produce the same “ocean” sound.
Question 2 of 3
The sound from a large shell is different from that in a small shell because of the _________________ of sound they echo back to your ear.
Question 3 of 3
Which of these is a disproven explanation for the sounds people hear inside a shell, according to this Wonder?
- The sounds are caused by a sea creature that used to live in the shell.
- The sounds are actually the sound of blood pumping through your head.
- The sounds are caused by air flowing through the shell.
- Both b and c
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/Can-You-Really-Hear-the-Ocean-in-a-Shell.