How Did Environmentalism Start?
Question 1 of 3
Which is the BEST evidence that Rachel Carson faced backlash from pesticide companies?
- “In Silent Spring, Carson explained how the irresponsible use of pesticides would come back to hurt humans.”
- “Carson’s interest in writing and nature followed her for the rest of her life.”
- “They [pesticide companies] threatened her and called her a Communist.”
- “She did, however, argue against the poison DDT, which was finally banned in the U.S. in 1972.”
Question 2 of 3
Which is NOT a book written by Rachel Carson?
- The Sea Around Us
- Silent Spring
- Beneath the Sea-Wind
- The Old Man and the Sea
Question 3 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Rachel Carson was a marine biologist and writer who warned people about the dangers of pesticides, inspiring the modern environmentalist movement.
- Silent Spring is a novel about a dystopian future where all the birds and bees have been killed by radiation.
- Rachel Carson wrote many books and even earned a degree in zoology.
- No one should ever use pesticides anywhere for any reason.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/How-Did-Environmentalism-Start.