WONDER #2380: What is Smallpox?
Question 1 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- Everyone should work with animals because it makes us immune to disease.
- Edward Jenner was a great doctor who cured many diseases.
- English milkmaids actually discovered vaccines, but Edward Jenner took the credit.
- Smallpox was a deadly disease that was eradicated by vaccines, thanks to Edward Jenner.
Question 2 of 3
What caused Edward Jenner to think cowpox could prevent smallpox?
- Cows had prevented many other diseases.
- Milkmaids who had cowpox did not catch smallpox when they were exposed to it.
- In a petri dish, smallpox virus moved away from cowpox virus.
- Edward Jenner did not think cowpox prevented smallpox.
Question 3 of 3
Which is the BEST evidence that smallpox was a very dangerous disease?
- “Doctors estimate that about three of every ten patients did not survive smallpox.”
- “Luckily for us, smallpox is no longer a threat today.”
- “Experts also saw the rash on three Egyptian mummies from the 3rd Century BCE.”
- “Jenner repeated this several times, but the boy never caught smallpox.”
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/what-is-smallpox.