WONDER #2364: What's the Most Dangerous Belt?
Question 1 of 3
This Wonder was mostly about...
- how radiation causes illness.
- James Van Allen and how he worked to get Explorer I into space.
- the Van Allen belts, which are two doughnuts of radiation that surround Earth.
- the differences between jelly doughnuts and the Van Allen belts.
Question 2 of 3
The Apollo 11 astronauts crossed the Van Allen belts to reach ___________.
- the Moon
- the Sun
Question 3 of 3
How do the Van Allen belts protect Earth?
- They keep radiation from the Sun and cosmic rays away from Earth.
- They stop the ISS from getting too far away from Earth.
- They block the harshest solar blasts from burning Earth’s atmosphere.
- They stop light from the Moon from reaching the Earth’s surface.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/What’s-the-Most-Dangerous-Belt.