WONDER #2352: Why is the Sensitive Plant So Shy?
Question 1 of 3
Which of these is NOT another name for the sensitive plant?
- Humble plant
- Mimosa pudica
- Wilting plant
Question 2 of 3
Which is the BEST evidence that the sensitive plant wilts to defend itself from predators?
- “As water drains to the plant’s base, the leaves close and the stalks droop.”
- “...the sensitive plant learned to move to scare away predators. Startled by the sudden wilting, hungry animals move away to find a different plant to eat.”
- “Many other plants fold up their leaves at nighttime. At night, leaves are not taking in any energy from sunlight.”
- “After a few minutes, it will send water back to its leaves and stand straight up again.”
Question 3 of 3
What causes the sensitive plant to wilt?
- It feels fear and shrinks to the ground.
- The cells in its leaves and stalks release water.
- Bad odors cause it harm.
- Lack of proper nutrients makes it droop.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-is-the-sensitive-plant-so-shy.