WONDER #2338: Why Does Minimum Wage Exist?
Question 1 of 3
The first place to have a nationwide minimum wage was ___________________.
- The United Kingdom
- The United States
- New Zealand
Question 2 of 3
Which of the following is evidence that workers during the Great Depression were desperate for jobs?
- “In fact, 29 states in the US have a minimum wage that is higher than the federal minimum wage.”
- “At that time, the unemployment rate in the US was 25%, meaning one in four people was without a job.”
- “It was several decades later when the United States took up the issue of a minimum wage during the Great Depression.“
- “Many people disagree on whether the minimum wages helps or hurts the economy.”
Question 3 of 3
The Fair Labor and Standards Act of 1938 was signed into law by President ___________________.
- George Washington
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- Harry Truman
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-does-minimum-wage-exist.