Driven by the mission of the National Center for Families Learning (NCFL), Camp Wonderopolis® is a free online resource available and open to all families, libraries, summer and afterschool programs, community organizations, and schools.
Thanks to the support of Better World Books, NCFL is offering libraries across the U.S. the opportunity to apply for funding to implement Camp Wonderopolis programming. Three libraries will be selected to receive a $3,000 grant, training to implement Camp Wonderopolis programming, and Campsite Kits, and will have the opportunity to contribute reading lists to be enjoyed by Campers around the world.
The grant application is available here and must be submitted by Friday, February 9, 2018. Winning applicants will be notified in March 2018.
Public and academic libraries are eligible.
Initial applications will be evaluated on:
- Library capacity to implement two-generation programming.
- Level of existing STEM- and literacy-focused programming.
Selected libraries will be required to:
- Hold four family Camp Wonderopolis workshops between June 11, 2018 and August 31, 2018.
- Submit reading lists related to two Camp Wonderopolis tracks at the direction of NCFL staff.*
- Write two blog posts of 300-500 words each and provide accompanying photos, captions, and videos related to Camp Wonderopolis experiences.**
*Reading list for one Camp track contains six books in each of four categories, totaling 24 books: Preschool to Age 8, Ages 9-13, Ages 14-17, and Ages 18 and Up. An example can be viewed here; scroll to "Recommended Reading" section. Libraries will be required to submit reading lists for two tracks, therefore 48 books total.
**Examples of blog posts can be found here.
Camp Wonderopolis 2018 theme and tracks
Theme: Symphony of Wonders
- In the Studio (production and composition)
- Amped Up (science and math)
- Feel the Beat (health)
- Sound Check (instruments)
- Showtime (careers)
- Greatest Hits (history and culture)
For easy reference, you can view/download a PDF of this application by clicking here.
Check out the Camp Wonderopolis approach and features by visiting last year's version.
Have questions? Send inquiries to Emily Sedgwick at firstname.lastname@example.org