WONDER #2954 : Who Was the Surfer of the Century?
Question 1 of 3
What is this Wonder mostly about?
- The differences between Pacific Island and West Coast surf culture.
- Duke Kahanamoku’s impact on surfing.
- The first surf exhibition in Australia.
- Surfing rituals in indigenous Hawaiian culture.
Question 2 of 3
Infer from the text. What is “He’e Nalu?”
- The person who invented surfing rituals
- A surfing cheer
- A Native Hawaiian word for surfing
- A flower native to Hawaii
Question 3 of 3
Why did Duke and his brothers open their own surf club?
- There were no surf clubs in Waikiki.
- They thought women should be allowed to surf.
- They wanted to make money from surfing.
- They were not allowed in the Whites-only surf club.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/index.php/wonder/Who-Was-the-Surfer-of-the-Century.