WONDER #2914: What Was the Dawes Act?
Question 1 of 3
The Dawes Act was passed because . . .
- Settlers were moving West and wanted more land.
- The government wanted American Indians to assimilate into U.S. culture.
- There were increasing conflicts over land between settlers and American Indians.
- All of the above.
Question 2 of 3
What was the perspective of the U.S. government?
- Everyone should own land communally instead of individually.
- American Indians should have more land.
- American Indians should live on small farms or ranches as settlers did.
- Settlers should fight American Indians for their land.
Question 3 of 3
What is NOT a synonym for the word tribe?
- ethnic group
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/index.php/wonder/What-Was-the-Dawes-Act.