Wonder #2844: How Do People Celebrate Kwanzaa?
Question 1 of 3
Why did Dr. Maulana Karenga create Kwanzaa?
- as a celebration of the final harvest before winter
- as a way for Black Americans to celebrate their shared African heritage
- as a showcase for African cuisine passed down for generations
- as a way to preserve traditional dances created by the African ancestors of Black Americans
Question 2 of 3
The kinara, a special candle holder, holds which combination of colored candles?
- three black, one red, and three green
- one green, three black, and three red
- three red, three black, and three green
- one black, three red, and three green
Question 3 of 3
How is the tradition of the unity cup observed?
- each member of the family takes a drink from the same cup as a way to represent unity and remembrance
- poems are recited after the lighting of a candle on the kinara
- fruits, vegetables, and nuts are placed on a special mat called the mkeka
- family members give each other presents
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/index.php/wonder/How-Do-People-Celebrate-Kwanzaa.