WONDER #2518: What are the Matariki "Teenage" Stars?
Question 1 of 3
Which of these is NOT a way Maori people have used the Matariki Stars?
- Maori sailors used the Matariki Stars for navigation.
- Some Maori iwis connect the Matariki Stars to their story of creation.
- Many Maori people have used the Matariki Stars to predict the weather and size of the harvest.
- Some Maori iwis use the Matariki Stars to decide where to live.
Question 2 of 3
Some Maori legends say that Matariki and the six sisters move across the sky to visit their grandmother, who is called ____________________.
- Mother Earth
Question 3 of 3
What was the main idea of this Wonder?
- The Matariki Stars make up the largest constellation that can be seen from Earth.
- The Matariki Stars can be seen with the naked eye and have a special place in Maori cultures.
- The Matariki Stars are called “Makali‘i” in Hawaii.
- People have watched the stars for a long time.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/index.php/wonder/What-are-the-Matariki-“Teenage”-Stars.