WONDER #2327: How Can Negative Numbers Exist?
Question 1 of 3
Which of these is NOT a rule for negative numbers?
- Subtracting a larger number from a smaller number will result in a negative number.
- When you multiply two negative numbers, the product is a positive number.
- When you multiply two negative numbers, the product is a negative number.
- When a subtraction sign is next to a negative number, you can change them into an addition sign.
Question 2 of 3
What causes a location to have a negative number as an altitude?
- The location is below sea level.
- The temperature there is below freezing year-round.
- The location is above sea level.
- Most people who live there understand negative numbers.
Question 3 of 3
According to this Wonder, mathematicians in _______________ rejected negative numbers for ages.
Check your answers online at https://wonderopolis.org/index.php/wonder/How-Can-Negative-Numbers-Exist.